I'm a 42yo online communications & IT consultant, and ex recording artist, from Melbourne, Australia.

After much searching, I finally met the right man. Then I got pregnant at 41 - baby boy was due 20 April 2010.

It was to be quite a journey. We discovered via ultrasound that our baby had some health problems, namely a hole in the heart, hypospadias and IUG growth issues.

Then I became very ill with pre-eclampsia, and was admitted to hospital at 34 weeks gestation.

Our baby Charles was delivered prematurely on 16th March 2010 weighing a tiny 1460g (3.5 pounds). He spent a month in hospital before coming home.

Small...

Baby is small.

Hmmm, says the radiologist at 20 weeks. He's smaller than he should be at this stage. A couple of weeks behind in his growth. We'll have to monitor him.

Hmmm, says my obstetrician (a good woman about my age, who has two children of her own). He's a bit smaller than he should be. We'll have to monitor him.

Oh come on, I say. Surely babies come in all sizes? I myself am not a very big woman. What's the big deal about being... small?

Apparently a baby that's smaller than usual could have other problems. Sometimes babies fail to thrive in the womb and have to be delivered early. Sometimes smallness is a sign that the placenta isn't functioning as it should.

Small can mean many things.

So every fortnight now, off I trot to the radiologists to be scanned, so that the baby's growth can be monitored.

5 comments...:

Jodie Ansted said...

I'm so glad you're doing this blog. It will help put everything that's going on in perspective, and we will all support you!

Looking forward to reading more. Praying for all good things...

Anonymous said...

Small can mean many things, don't they say good things come in small packages? Just like your baby xxx

41BabyProject said...

Thanks for the support guys -
am now just trying to work myself up to writing about the latest heart issue (but still processing it, so may take a few days)

Kerri Sackville said...

As you know, I am thinking of you lots and I hope you continue to reach out to your friends here online.
xxxx

april said...

with kerri - we are all here - thoughts and hugs xxx

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your feedback - comments welcome...

Blog Archive

Followers

Vote For Us @ TopBaby Blogs! The Best Baby Blog Directory