I'm a 42yo online communications & IT consultant, and ex recording artist, from Melbourne, Australia.

After much searching, I finally met the right man. Then I got pregnant at 41 - baby boy was due 20 April 2010.

It was to be quite a journey. We discovered via ultrasound that our baby had some health problems, namely a hole in the heart, hypospadias and IUG growth issues.

Then I became very ill with pre-eclampsia, and was admitted to hospital at 34 weeks gestation.

Our baby Charles was delivered prematurely on 16th March 2010 weighing a tiny 1460g (3.5 pounds). He spent a month in hospital before coming home.

Getting pregnant...

So we’re going to try to get pregnant. Big breath. OK, now what do I have to do first?

Take the right vitamins? Check.

Work out the right time in my cycle? Check.

Are we ready for this? Check.

Are we
really sure we’re going to do this? Check. Well, as sure as one can be when embarking upon such a life changing event, I guess.

OK, let’s do it.

Newspapers are full of articles warning how difficult it is to become pregnant after 40.
Chart your menstrual cycle very carefully. Be aware that it will probably take longer. If it doesn’t happen after six months, get thee to an IVF clinic pronto. And so on.

So we bonk our brains out during our first month of trying - July 2009 - thinking to ourselves that maybe, if we are lucky, we might be pregnant by the end of the year.

And lo and behold, by early August I realise we’ve done it. Already. It really was that easy.

Big breath now...

0 comments...:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your feedback - comments welcome...

Blog Archive

Followers

Vote For Us @ TopBaby Blogs! The Best Baby Blog Directory