I'm a 42yo online communications & IT consultant, and ex recording artist, from Melbourne, Australia.

After much searching, I finally met the right man. Then I got pregnant at 41 - baby boy was due 20 April 2010.

It was to be quite a journey. We discovered via ultrasound that our baby had some health problems, namely a hole in the heart, hypospadias and IUG growth issues.

Then I became very ill with pre-eclampsia, and was admitted to hospital at 34 weeks gestation.

Our baby Charles was delivered prematurely on 16th March 2010 weighing a tiny 1460g (3.5 pounds). He spent a month in hospital before coming home.

Onwards and outwards...

Ah, the joys of pregnancy.

I'm getting increasingly large and clumsy. My back aches constantly and I have a burning pain right below my right breast - I'm told it's a combination of the baby pressing up against me and a uterine fibroid that I unfortunately have in that area. I get up about three times a night to pee, and find it hard to get comfortable in bed, despite the aid of pillows and cushions. My poor partner has been banished temporarily to the other bedroom, as I find I need to sleep diagonally across the bed with my legs out in an L-shape in order to get any measure of pain relief.

My social life is cactus. I was invited to an opening night on Friday and had to decline at the last minute, due to simply being unable to leave the sofa. I now generally communicate with friends by email and facebook. My wardrobe has been confined to long t-shirts and cardigans, with a couple of plain maternity dresses for variety - they're all styles I'd turn my nose up at normally. Being short, I'm usually a high-heel queen, but these days I find myself only able to wear a single pair of low-heeled sandals with thick soles, circa 2001. Bor - ring.

And my arse? Don't get me started....

On the plus side, I feel like I am starting to really commune with my baby. I talk to him sometimes and I know he hears me, as he responds with thumps. I am recognising the patterns in his waking and sleeping (you guessed it - he wakes when I am sleeping). And I am really feeling him within me as a person, rather than as a thing, if that makes any sense.

So now I have eight weeks to go. Onwards (and outwards).

7 comments...:

Jayne said...

It is so great to hear you expressing the 'normal' - for want of a better word - side of pregnancy after your scary time. I wish so much love and happiness to you and your little family. You are a courageous mama - and your son is a lucky boy to have you as his. xx

So Now What? said...

I love reading about your baby journey. I forget about the the bits and pieces that go with it. Sounds like you are doing a top job of being a mama :)

april said...

Oh wow - I remember that - that is such a gorgeous post because it is the last 8 weeks of pregnancy - the stuff that no one tells us about - not really - the exhustion, the pains, the daggy clothes, the no life, the talking to your baby :) and it is so beautiful to read about it after all the high tension stuff you have been through.
I am sorry for the pain though :( *hugs*

Christy said...

So normal!
Isn't that annoying to hear someone say that. My last 8 or so weeks were awful. I didn't go on Maternity leave until 34 weeks (working as a full time hospital nurse), so aching everywhere. I got that pain under my breast too... something to do with milk/changing shape.
Oh and dont' you just love the comment people make about not being able to sleep "getting you ready for when the baby comes!"
My little one is now 2 months old and trust me its so worth it.

Jodie Ansted said...

Oh, this SO takes me back...

Heartburn used to wake me at night - esp with the 1st, and I'd be awake for hours sometimes. I took to watching tv or reading, then trying to sleep in the next day!

My 2nd son was rather long, and I'm sure he used to push up at my ribs. I'd have to shove his little tootsies down for relief!

I was weeing a lot too the last trimester. All 3 boys engaged early (around 6 weeks). Felt so heavy "down there". Ugh.

It's uncomfortable, that's for sure. But not too much longer now! People will say, and it's true: try to rest when you can.

All my understanding and sympathy to you! It'll be worth it. x

41BabyProject said...

Thanks everyone! I'll survive, I guess - as so many have before me ;-)

Cindy said...

Oh, hang in there. I know it;s hard to get through the last little bit, but it's so worth it!

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your feedback - comments welcome...

Blog Archive

Followers

Vote For Us @ TopBaby Blogs! The Best Baby Blog Directory